Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Getting online in a disaster area

 It has been almost 2 weeks now since Hurricane Ian passed right over our house. Luckily the house, shed, pets, vehicles and we, are OK.  The trees, fence, garden and birdcage are destroyed.  But hey, we were lucky!

The day of the Hurricane was surreal. We had bought new hurricane-proof bay windows, which I sat behind and watched it all go by. I did drink vodka, and listened to progressive rock music as I imagined the world crumbling around me. Suzi made a safe room where she, the pets and a radio sat.

The day after everything was in tatters. We had no water but we did have a pool for water to flush toilets. Luckily, we had bought about 8 cases of water over the preceding months.  We were also fortunate that the temps after Ian were in the 70s and low 80s so no need for air conditioning.

I expected that electricity and cable/wifi would be out for at least a few days.  I did not expect that cellular service would be down.  For four days we had no way to reach anyone to let them know we were safe.  Cell service came back in 4 days, electricity came back in 8 days. Cable/wifi are still dead.

Of course you need power with any electronics.  I was able to use my truck and an inverter to charge battery packs.  I also have a few solar-charging battery packs. More than enough to keep a cell phone running, or two in our case. I plan on getting more.

I do have 2 portable generators but had no luck getting either started. Neighbors and even the national guard tried, but nada. Lesson is to not wait until a disaster before making sure your generator works.

Now if you have unlimited data on your phone the magic starts.  Mobile tethering allows you to use your phone as a portable wi-fi hotspot.  Speed sux - about 2MB down and 3MB up last time I checked.  You ae limited on devices also but I have 2 computers on it now and so far no problem.

But be sure you have unlimited data or you may get a nasty surprise.

Now more magic.  If you have a smart TV, like my 85" Sony, you can get it on the hotspot and watch netflix or whatever.  Also, most TVs have a local antenna port. Get a $50 digital antenna from Wal Mart and you can watch local TV.  This and radio were our only info sources until cell came back.

One more little thing. We have a group here called CERT, Community Emergency Response Team. Given how cell was out, why not fall back on CB radios?  Pretty much every boomer has one in a box in their garage or shed.  With a tiny amount of prep these could be used for the CERT members to coordinate response.  I am planning to do a demo for the other CERT members.

Of course the problem is that coordination is needed early on. Almost nobody uses them besides truckers any longer.  New handhelds go for about $80. Battery powered.   Base satiations run the same price range but are not battery powered.

Also, demand a refund for the time any service, like cable, was down.  I expect this will become quite a kerfluffle.


No comments:

Post a Comment