Thursday, October 13, 2022

Beware the post-disaster scams

 About 10 years ago I was interviewed by a talk show in London about scams following hurricane Katrina.  Turns out disasters are a ripe time for such scams, often aimed at elderly people.

So here is my sad, sad story.

Once I had cell service after Ian, I would check FB regularly to let my family and friends know that I am OK.  I got a friend request from a retired faculty member whom I barely knew back in the day.  I was initially suspicious (always am). I asked him a few questions to see if it was really him, but he found a way to avoid answering them.

He asked me if I had gotten my money from DHS. Scam warnings immediately went up, but he kept insisting that I trust him.  He then asked if he could have a DHS agent contact me.  I do not want to divulge this persons name since I am now sure it was a cloned acct.

However, I was soon contacted by a John Franklin, who claims to be a DHS agent.  He said I would get $150K in a Fedex box at 9:30 pm.  He wanted a lot of info from me, including a copy of my drivers license. I refused.  The only info i provided was info found on my FB anyway. Nothing private!

So then he contacted me at 9pm and said they needed $2k to complete delivery of my 150K - scam city!

So then I did what any citizen is supposed to do. I gathered documentation and first contacted DHS. Turns out they do have an agent John Franklin.  My bet is that his acct was spoofed also.  BANG! Now it is a Federal crime, impersonating a federal officer and a scam across state lines.

Here is Johns fake FB profile  (4) John Franklin | Facebook

DHS did not care! Email to John went without a reply. The web site at FBI for reporting things like this is impossible to figure out!  And NO email address for FBI. NONE! Zippo!

So I send the info to my local police.  Again no reply, although I cannot blame them since we are in the middle if Ians devastation zone.

So I have archived all information about this.  They honestly do not seem to care.  The scam is one thing but impersonating a federal agent in a scam....  wow. I had it all wrapped up as a present for them but oh well.

So bottom line. Try to be a good citizen but look out for yourself.  I have no doubt there are law enforcement people looking to break scams like this but good luck finding them.  I am very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment